Friday, January 14, 2011

One step at a time . . .

It's been said that there's nothing like a little exercise to start your day. Try climbing 20 flights of stairs! Thanks to a blown transformer, a good chunk of LAX was without power this afternoon when I arrived at the tower. When I came in, they had just freed a guy who'd been trapped in the elevator for about a half hour as he was leaving for the day. At that moment, the power was back on, and I was told that the elevator was okay to use. I had one small chore to tend to before I headed up, and while I was getting that done the power went out again. Good thing I needed to make a copy, or else I'd have been the next one stuck in the elevator!

While we were still in the air traffic business thanks to back-up generators, things were pretty much at a standstill in some parts of the airport: Terminals One, Six, Seven, and Eight all were affected by the power outage. Aircraft on the ground couldn't be unloaded because the jetways couldn't be moved up to the doors. Passengers couldn't go through screening because the x-rays. scanners, and metal detectors were all out of service. Southwest, United, Skywest, and Continental all had airplanes delayed or diverted.

By sundown, things were more or less back to normal, and so we were able to appreciate a beautiful sunset:

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures as always! I recently learned that the hour before sunrise and after sunset is called the "blue hour". It is definitely captured in your last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Captainvector, I got to see the sunset twice today thanks to you!!!!!!misstwa

    ReplyDelete