Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Happy Birthday

How to celebrate your birthday: Sunday, several friends from the Long Beach Shakespeare Company took me out for an evening at Catalina's Jazz Club in Hollywood. I got to sit at the MC's table with friend and jazz radio host Helen B, who also serves as Artistic Director for the LBSC. On stage that evening was jazz singer Tierney Sutton, who has the first band I've seen with two bass players. They were performing in celebration of their third Grammy nomination, received recently for their album Desire. A good time was had by all. Thanks guys!


How NOT to celebrate your birthday: I had a pizza in the oven this evening when a friend called to wish me happy birthday. We were still talking when the oven timer went off. While attempting to take the pizza out, I managed to dump it upside down on the bottom of the hot oven. Still on the phone, I subsequently burned myself while trying to extricate it from beneath the racks. Once I got off the phone and removed the racks, the crust came out intact, leaving the cheese and everything else stuck to the oven's interior. This being a new self-cleaning oven, I scraped out the big stuff and engaged the cleaning cycle. A short time later I was receiving cat 'help' while munching on my well-done pizza crust when the newly-installed smoke detector went off. The cats went flying - along with my coke, right onto the freshly-cleaned carpet. Nice to know that the smoke detector works, although I could have done without the build-up.


Now, having had my pizza and cake (key lime pie, actually), I get to look forward to my flight physical for work on Friday. Happy birthday to me!


See also:

KJAZZ 88.1 FM

All About Jazz: Tierney Sutton

2 comments:

  1. - And I missed ALL the excitement...

    Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a memorable birthday!

    Can't even imagine what the oven must have looked like! Hope your hand is okay!

    ReplyDelete