Thursday, November 19, 2009

Decisions, decisions . . .

Well, the pink bedroom isn't pink anymore. Yippee! What it will be is yet to be decided; what it is currently is beautiful primer, although the ceiling is done. The problem with the paint color brochures that all the Home Depot/Lowes type places have is that the colors look very different when they're actually on the wall. Fortunately, they now sell little sample jars of paint so that you can go home and try them out:


And this is the result. Not quite a rainbow, but enough. It may help to explain the sequence here: I did three batches of three colors apiece, each subsequent batch because I was not sold on the previous one. My father, a retired architect, once told me that a good rule of thumb when choosing colors using the little sample cards is to find a color you like, and then use one that is two shades lighter than the one you chose. I really like the blue on the right in the first shot, but it does appear darker on the wall than it did in the brochure; I fear that in a 10' x 13' room it will be too much if done on the whole wall; thus the blue in the middle of the second shot. Likewise with the two greens.

I have a coworker who is currently also going through the 'painting the new house' routine, and her take on the choice of colors is "Who cares? It's just paint." Which is true of course, but it's just as much work to paint it the second time around . . .

Anyone who fancies him/herself an interior designer sort is welcome to comment with suggestions, although I make no promise to follow any of them. The one constant is that the ceiling is and will remain white. Period. I don't do colors on the ceiling.

3 comments:

  1. I like the lighter blue and/or the buttery cream.

    Is it also just as much work to prime the second time around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 'buttery cream' is a perfect example of why the little color chips are not enough: It was supposed to be tan or beige. I think the name was "Pita Bread"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, well if it's really beige, forget it!

    ReplyDelete