Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Home sick


This post is brought to you by the Life isn't Fair Dept. 


It's my one day off, and I'm home sick. Just like when I was a kid and got sick during summer vacation, I feel cheated. Why can't I be sick on a work day, when I could take sick leave? Of course, it's a shame to use sick leave when you're actually not feeling well (so I'm told). So, instead of the thousand other things I ought (and was planning, I promise!) to do, I got to while away some time in the interwebs. Here are some of my favorites. They're not in any particular order, but I'm pretty sure that they're all safe for work. Those of you who tune in exclusively for aviation-related content are going to be pretty disappointed with the first half.


First up, a theme song for those of us who grew up in homes with no TV, but thousands of books (not to mention walking distance to the library!):



For more grammar help, check out The Oatmeal:



Next, I'm (obviously) a plane geek. But nerds come in a wide variety of flavors:



As I've mentioned occasionally, I do time at the Long Beach Shakespeare Company. This isn't our production, but they've got a great (and slightly gross) trailer:



I was R2 before anyone ever heard of Star Wars, but I can't do this:



My sister (the smart sibbling) is a vet. The link is not her blog, but it is something she wants you know:


Warning: This Huffington Post piece is a tear-jerker. Have your Kleenex ready.

Robyn Arouty Photography


Segue time. Here's an LA Times article that combines animals and aviation:



For those of you who wonder where I get some of my LAX-related news, check out Eye on L.A. Aviation:

This link L.A. Aviation archive will take you to the archive page. Select any of the dates to see that day's update, which has links to the stories. If you really like it, there's a subscribe link down at the bottom of the daily update.


For those of us annoyed by the TSA's screening procedures, take a look at this Wired article: TSA instagram


If all of that isn't enough, here are some other places I frequent on the web:

This blog is assembled and edited on a fleet of old and ancient Macs. This is my favorite reference for old Mac stuff:



I have a MINI; this is a podcast about MINIs:



A webcomic that features Minis:
Another comic, this one drawn by a teacher that features a Mini and a MINI (bonus points if you know the difference!). Oh, and there's a monkey:


One more MINI-related site, about a little girl and the travels of her MINI:



Where my avgas dollars go:



As well as here:



And here:



There are plenty of other aviation blogs out there. Here are my favorites:








If you've made it this far, thanks for playing. Stay tuned for regular aviation content.

1 comment:

  1. Holy Shiiiite Captain Vector........I LOVE what you've done with the place.........LOL>........a bit late.....but hope your feeling better.....!!......your usually a steak and potatoes kind of guy......I show up and its a buffet.......I think I'll take a little of everything.......a true Aviation geek.......leaves their options open............;)

    ReplyDelete